WordPress is a free, open-source website creation platform. On a more technical level, WordPress is a content management system (CMS) written in PHP that uses a MySQL database. In non-geek speak, WordPress is the easiest and most powerful blogging and website builder in existence today.
What Kinds Of Websites Can WordPress Make?
- Business websites
- eCommerce stores
- Social networks
- Membership sites
Types of WordPress Website?
Here are the types of websites you can build with WordPress:
- Blog – A blog is a special type of website devoted to sharing thoughts, photos, reviews, tutorials, recipes and so much more. Blogs usually display the most recently-published content first.
- E-commerce website – An e-commerce website allows you to sell goods or services online and collect payment via an online payment system. You can download and install a WordPress e-commerce plugin to extend the default functionality of WordPress so you can have an online store on your website.
- Business website – Many businesses will benefit from having an online presence in the form of their own website. If your business needs a website for customers to learn about your company and what you have to offer, WordPress is an excellent option. Customers can contact you, ask for a quote, schedule an appointment and much more.
- Membership website – A membership website allows you to put content behind a paywall or an account login. To access pages or posts, users must login or pay for the content. WordPress can also handle membership websites with additional plugins.
- Portfolio website – Show off your artwork, design skills and more with a portfolio website built on WordPress.
- Forum website – A forum website can be a helpful place for users to ask questions or share advice. Believe it or not, many forum websites run on WordPress.
- Event website – Hosting an event? WordPress makes it easy for you to share your event details and sell tickets.
- E-learning website – Students can take online courses, track their progress, download resources and much more from an e-learning website. With a special kind of plugin called a WordPress LMS plugin, you can offer online courses from a WordPress website.
- Wedding website – Share the details of your big day with a wedding website built on WordPress. With an array of WordPress wedding themes, you can get a website up quickly and easily.
…pretty much anything else you can dream up.
A WordPress plugin is a package of additional code that you can upload to your website to add new features, functionality, or integrations.
- Plugins can be added via the Plugins menu in your WordPress dashboard.
- Using the built-in search function, you can find a free plugin available on the WordPress.org Plugin directory.
Plugins can also be packaged as zip files that you upload through the Plugins menu uploader in your WordPress dashboard.
A WordPress theme provides the design “framework” of your website. Most WordPress themes provide:
- The overall design (the look, feel, and style) of your site
- Color scheme
- Styles for blog posts and blog archives
- Page layouts (or templates)
- Widget locations
- Additional stylistic details
- Some themes operate like WordPress page builders, allowing you to create your own page layouts without code.
- Themes can be added via the Appearance > Themes menu in your WordPress dashboard.
- Using the built-in search function, you can find a free theme available on WordPress.org.
- Themes can also be packaged as zip files that you upload through the Appearance > Themes menu uploader in your WordPress dashboard.